Monday 11 March 2013

Warburtons' Blue Says it All



Our 'Season Horribilis' is very nearly over. Three days to go. One last crack at roach I think, and then it's curtains drawn on a winter best remembered as one forgotten.

I'll be glad to see the scrawny back of it and embrace the plump-breasted promise of a lush and bountiful summer to come. Silver bream and silver-gilt clouds, then gilt-bronze tench, carp, crucian and rudd on evenings becalmed flecked with bubble and sud.

Seems an ice age since I felt it proper to fish commando in shorts... Let's just hope there's no more where 'that' came from to spoil things...




6 comments:

  1. I do hope you're right Jeff, I don't think I could take another season of 'that' sort of weather. Its like a blizzard outside at the moment. It snowed all day yesterday and most of the night but the worst thing of all is the vicious wind!

    I still hope to get out today and tomorrow like you it will be my last ditch effort for a few river roach. All the best Jeff and I do hope things get better :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Easterly was vicious today alright. Nearly had my eye out on a snowflake! Tomorrow I've much to do but Im buggered if it'll stop me getting a few hours in. Last ditch and all that...

      Delete
  2. Not sure if you're aware but in modern parlance "going commando" means to not wear any underwear....... (!)

    Perhaps you are aware. Each to their own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am aware. It's when I remove the shorts too that you know it's proper hot! That hasn't happened since the summer of 2003...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another commando fan here! Seriously though, I do hope this year is kinder to you. If there's any consolation it's been shit for northern fly fishing types too. My fun is just about to start as yours ends for a while and I pray for long, warm summer nights wading up a low, clear river....rather than the miserable crap we had last year. Surely it can't be as bad again??

    Great writing - a pleasure to visit as always!
    M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this summer has to be a good one, Matthew. We deserve it! On the plus side, the constant floods will have refreshed the rivers and have remade them in places. Can't be a bad thing in the long term, can it?

      Delete